May 15, 2020
HCA Healthcare/USF Morsani College of Medicine GME/Oak Hill Hospital Anesthesiology Residency Program residents and faculties have actively conducted multiple research projects. Under the leadership of Program Director Jeffrey Huang, the residents have achieved excellent results. The ACGME requires that residents participate in scholar activities. Dr. Huang encourages all residents and faculties to participate in the research projects. He also included the transitional year residents and medical students who are interested in anesthesia research to join the projects.
As the results, four research articles have been accepted to be published in peer reviewed journals. One abstract was accepted by International Anesthesia Research Society (IARS) annual meeting, which is the second largest anesthesiology society meeting in the world. Five abstracts were accepted by Florida Society of Anesthesiologists annual meeting; one of them was selected as an Abstract of Distinction (Best Abstract). Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most professional societies conferences were cancelled. However, each annual meeting abstract selection committee followed their selection guidelines, and carefully selected the abstracts, and published in the annual meeting website.
The articles and abstracts are listed below, and the residents, medical student and faculties from the program are underlined.
Peer reviewed Journals:
- Eslahpazir B, Zhu B, Gao H, Zhou X, Liu Y, Huang G, Huang J. Perceptions of WHO Surgical Safety Checklist When Implemented by the Multidisciplinary OR Team. American Journal of Medical Quality 2020 (in press)
- LaCour MD, Patel S, Solimany H, Brunet K, Huang J. A national survey of substance abuse among anesthesiologist assistants in the United States of America. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia 2020 (in press)
- Huang J, Huang X, Guan Y, Wang X, Mishra S. Use of an Emergency Manual During an Intraoperative Pulmonary Arterial Rupture, Hypoxemia, and Bradycardia. Cureus 2020; 12(2): e6838. doi:10.7759/cureus.6838
- Sanchez K, Huang J: Successful evidence based international emergency manuals implementation strategy. Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation Newsletter 2020 (in press)
IARS Annual Meeting 2020:
Eslahpazir B, Zhu B, Gao H, Zhou X, Liu Y, Huang G, Huang J. Perceptions of WHO Surgical Safety Checklist When Implemented by the Multidisciplinary OR Team
Florida Society of Anesthesiologists (FSA) Annual Meeting 2020:
- Eslahpazir B, Amer K, Huang J: Cardiac arrest from peritoneal vagal stimulation is possible during abdominal insufflation: a case report. (Abstract of Distinction)
- Eskander D, Elnagar I, Huang J: Use of emergency manuals to treat intraoperative supraventricular tachycardia and hypotension during explorative laparotomy: case report
- Maier T, Fazal Z, Huang J: Adaptive Servo-Ventilation use during procedural sedation for endoscopy on a morbidly obese patient
- Mishra S, Huang X, Guan Y, Wang X, Mosquera A, Huang J. Use of an Emergency Manual During an Intraoperative Pulmonary Arterial Rupture, Hypoxemia, and Bradycardia
- Sanchez K, Huang J: Successful evidence based international emergency manuals implementation strategy.