|The Hip Joint|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Reaction to anesthesia
- Blood clots
- Nausea and vomiting
- Injuries to nerves or blood vessels
- Shortening of the leg
- Ball cannot be fit into the socket
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
Description of the Procedure
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Pain medication
- Placing and changing bandages over the incision sites
- Using pillow-like devices to separate and support the legs
- Ice to reduce swelling
- Breathing exercises to decrease the risk of fluid build-up in the lungs
- Give pain medicine as directed.
- Keep the incision area clean and dry. Care for the wound as instructed by the doctor.
- Ask the doctor when it is safe to shower, bathe, or soak in water.
- You may need to use a walker or wheelchair.
- Follow the instructions the doctor gives you.
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection such as fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or discharge around incision site
- Increased pain or swelling
- Cough, shortness of breath, chest pain
- Severe nausea or vomiting
- Numbness, tingling, or loss of feeling in your leg, knee, or foot
- Pain, burning, urgency or frequency of urination, or blood in the urine
American College of Rheumatology http://www.rheumatology.org
The Arthritis Foundation http://www.arthritis.org
The Arthritis Society http://www.arthritis.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Dega osteotomy. Nemours, Alfred I DuPont Hospital for Children website. Available at: http://gait.aidi.udel.edu/procedures/dega%5Fosteotomy.pdf . Accessed April 10, 2013.
Femoral derotational osteotomy. Nemours, Alfred I DuPont Hospital for Children website. Available at: http://gait.aidi.udel.edu/procedures/femoral%5Fosteotomy.pdf . Accessed April 10, 2013.
Periacetabular osteotomy. Duke Orthopaedics website. Available at: http://www.dukehealth.org/orthopaedics/services/hip-treatments/treatments/periacetabular-osteotomy . Accessed April 10, 2013.
6/6/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : Mills E, Eyawo O, Lockhart I, Kelly S, Wu P, Ebbert JO. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: John C. Keel, MD
- Review Date: 03/2013 -
- Update Date: 03/01/2013 -