Adhesive Capsulitis -- Arthroscopic Surgery
(Frozen Shoulder—Arthroscopic Surgery)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Relieve pain
- Restore range of motion in the shoulder joint
- Break up scar tissue
- Nerve injury
- Damage to soft tissue
- Instability or stiffness in joint
- Reaction to anesthesia used
- Chronic disease such as diabetes or obesity
- The use of certain medications
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs
- Blood thinners, such as clopidogrel or warfarin
- Arrange for a ride to and from the hospital. Also, arrange for help at home after the surgery.
- The night before, eat a light meal. Do not eat or drink anything after midnight. If you have diabetes, you may need to adjust your medicines. Talk to your doctor about this.
- If told to do so by your doctor, on the day of the surgery, shower using a special antibacterial soap. Do not use deodorant.
Description of the Procedure
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Washing their hands
- Wearing gloves or masks
- Keeping your incisions covered
- Washing your hands often and reminding visitors and healthcare providers to do the same
- Reminding your healthcare providers to wear gloves or masks
- Not allowing others to touch your incisions
- Use a sling if told to do so by your doctor. You may not need to use one, because it can cause stiffness.
- Work with a physical therapist at home to focus on range-of-motion exercises .
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infections, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or discharge from the incision sites
- Cough, trouble breathing, or chest pain
- Severe nausea or vomiting
- Pain becomes worse or swelling increases
- Tingling or numbness that will not go away, especially in arms and hands
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.aaos.org/
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine http://www.aossm.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org/
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org/
Adhesive capsulitis. American Academy of Family Physicians website. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030315/1323ph.html. Accessed December 14, 2011.
Adhesive capsulitis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated September 2008. Accessed December 3, 2008.
Adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder). Palo Alto Medical Foundation website. Available at: http://www.pamf.org/sports/king/adhesive%5Fcaps.html. Accessed December 3, 2008.
Adhesive capsulitis: physical therapy. EBSCO Publishing Nursing Reference Center website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/pointOfCare/nrc-about. Updated June 2007. Accessed November 18, 2008.
Examination under anesthesia. University of Washington Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine website. Available at: http://www.orthop.washington.edu/uw/examination/tabID%5F%5F3376/ItemID%5F%5F207/PageID%5F%5F425/Articles/Default.aspx. Accessed November 21, 2008.
Frozen Shoulder. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00071. Accessed December 14, 2011.
Outpatient surgery. Cleveland Clinic website. Available at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/florida/weston/hospital/outpatient%5Fsurgery.aspx. Accessed November 21, 2008.
Patient information guide: frozen shoulder syndrome. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthodoc.aaos.org/mobyparsons/Pat%20Guide%20Frozen %20 Shoulder.doc. Accessed December 4, 2008.
Shoulder Arthroscopy. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00589. Accessed December 14, 2011.
Warner JP. Frozen shoulder: diagnosis and management. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 1997;5:130-140.
Your shoulder surgery. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00066. Updated August 2009. Accessed December 14, 2011.
- Reviewer: John C. Keel, MD
- Review Date: 12/2012 -
- Update Date: 01/24/2014 -