|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Rectal bleeding or blood in the stool
- Cramping pain in the stomach
- Weight loss
- DNA analysis to determine if you have the defective gene
- Biopsy to see if polyps are cancerous
- Eye exam to look for lesions in the retina
- An exam of the stomach and the upper part of the small intestine
- An exam of the rectum and colon
- Colectomy with ileorectal anastomosis (IRA)—Removal of the colon except for a small section above the rectum. The last part of the small intestine is connected to the remaining part of the colon, preserving bowel function.
- Restorative proctocolectomy (pouch)—Removal of the colon and rectum, leaving the anal canal. A pouch is created with the lower end of the small intestine. The pouch mimics the function of the rectum. The pouch is connected to the anal canal, preserving bowel function.
- Total proctocolectomy with permanent ileostomy—Removal of the colon, rectum, and anal canal. A permanent ileostomy is created. An ileostomy is a surgical opening through the wall of the abdomen. It is used as a path for waste material to leave the body. After an ileostomy, you will wear a special bag to collect body waste.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- COX-2 inhibitors
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
Colorectal Cancer Association of Canada http://www.colorectal-cancer.ca
FAP. Cleveland Clinic website. Available at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/inherited%5Fcolon%5Fcancer/dd%5Ffap.aspx. Accessed May 24 ,2013.
Familial adenomatous polyposis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what. Updated June 25, 2012. Accessed May 24, 2013.
Familial adenomatous polyposis . Genetics Home Reference website. Available at: http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/familial-adenomatous-polyposis. Updated April 2008. Accessed May 24, 2013.
Jasperson KW, Burt RW. APC-associated polyposis conditions. GeneReviews. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1345 Updated October 27, 2011. Accessed May 24 ,2013.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 05/2013 -
- Update Date: 00/52/2013 -