|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Excess alcohol intake
- Recurrent attacks of acute pancreatitis
Family history of:
- Hyperparathyroidism associated with chronic pancreatitis
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Chronic kidney disease
- Congenital conditions, such as pancreas divisum
- Ischemia—insufficient blood supply to the pancreas
- Hyperlipidemia —elevated blood fat levels
- Hypertriglyceridemia —elevated blood triglyceride levels
- Hypercalcemia —elevated blood calcium levels
- Cystic fibrosis
- Pseudocysts—build up of fluids and debris
- Abdominal pain that may get worse when eating or drinking, spreads to the back, or becomes constant and disabling
- Nausea and vomiting
- Weight loss
- Blood tests
- Stool tests
- IV fluids
- Nasogastric tube—A long, thin tube is threaded through your nose and into your stomach for feeding
- Prescription pain relievers
- Pancreatic enzymes
- Vitamin supplements
- Medications to control diabetes if it develops
- Necrosectomy—Removal of dying or dead (necrotic) pancreatic tissue. Pancreatic necrosis is more serious if an infection is present. This procedure can also be done with endoscopy.
- ECRP—To open any collapsed ducts or drain cysts.
- Cholecystectomy —To remove the gallbladder.
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov
National Pancreas Foundation http://www.pancreasfoundation.org
Canadian Association of Gastroenterology http://www.cag-acg.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Chronic pancreatitis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated April 17, 2014. Accessed December 9, 2014.
Chronic pancreatitis. Tulane University School of Medicine website. Available at: http://tulane.edu/som/pancreas-biliary/diseases/chronic-pancreatitis.cfm. Accessed December 9, 2014.
Grant JP. Nutritional support in acute and chronic pancreatitis. Surg Clin North Am. 2011;91(4):805-820, viii.
Pancreatitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/pancreatitis. Updated August 16, 2012. Accessed December 9, 2014.
Singh VV, Toskes PP. Medical therapy for chronic pancreatitis pain. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2003; 5:110.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/04/2013 -