- High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol
- Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol
Reasons for Test
- High LDL levels increase the risk of heart disease.
- Low HDL levels increase the risk of heart disease.
|Plaque Formation in Blood Vessel—Side Effect of High LDL Cholesterol|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
What to Expect
Prior to Test
- Fasting lipid profile—You will need to stop eating or drinking 9-12 hours before the test. Water is allowed during this time.
- Total cholesterol test and total cholesterol test with HDL measurement—You do not need to fast.
Description of Test
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- You have increased redness, pain, or discharge from the blood test site.
- You have severe bruising or swelling.
American Heart Association http://www.heart.org
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov
Canadian Cardiovascular Society http://www.ccs.ca
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada http://www.heartandstroke.com
Akosah KO, Schaper A, et al. Preventing myocardial infarction in the young adult in the first place: how do the National Cholesterol Education Panel III guidelines perform? J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003;41:1475-1479.
Cholesterol. Lab Tests Online website. Available at: http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/cholesterol/tab/test. Updated February 14, 2013. Accessed March 22, 2013.
Explore high cholesterol. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbc/. Updated September 19, 2012. Accessed March 22. 2013.
How to get your cholesterol tested. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/SymptomsDiagnosisMonitoringofHighCholesterol/How-To-Get-Your-Cholesterol-Tested%5FUCM%5F305595%5FArticle.jsp. Updated June 14, 2012. Accessed March 22, 2013.
Law MR, Wald NJ. Risk factor thresholds: their existence under scrutiny. Br Med J . 2002;324:1570-1576.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 06/24/2013 -