(Ascites Fluid Tap; Abdominal Tap)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Diseases of organs, such as the liver
- Makes breathing difficult
- Causes pain
- Accidental piercing of structures in the abdomen
- Bleeding disorder
- Poor nutrition
- Full bladder
- Infection in the area where the paracentesis instrument will be inserted
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Do not eat or drink for 12 hours before the procedure.
- Empty your bladder just before the procedure.
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
- Rest the day after your procedure.
- Follow your doctor's instructions .
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever, chills and abdominal pain
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or fluid from the paracentesis site
- Pain that you cannot control with the medicines you have been given
- Cough, shortness of breath, feeling faint, or chest pain
- Swelling of the abdomen
American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org
American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Ascites. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated May 15, 2013. Accessed June 25, 2013.
Aslam N, Marino CR. Malignant ascites: new concepts in pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management. Arch Intern Med. 2001;161:2733-2737.
Covey AM. Management of malignant pleural effusions and ascites. The Journal of Supportive Oncology. 2005;3:169-173.
Smith EM, Jayson GC. The current and future management of malignant ascites. Clin Oncol. 2003;15:59-72.
6/2/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us: Mills E, Eyawo O, Lockhart I, Kelly S, Wu P, Ebbert JO. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD; Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -