Pyloroplasty -- Adult
(Pyloric Stenosis Repair; Pyloromyotomy)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Damage to intestines
- Hernia formation at the incision site
- Chronic diarrhea
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Talk to your doctor about your medications. You may be asked to stop taking some medications up to 1 week before the procedure.
- If you have diabetes, discuss your medications with your doctor.
- Your doctor may order a laxative. This will help you clean out your intestines.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight.
Description of Procedure
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Washing their hands
- Wearing gloves or masks
- Keeping your incisions covered
- Washing your hands often and reminding visitors and healthcare providers to do the same
- Reminding your healthcare providers to wear gloves or masks
- Not allowing others to touch your incision
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding or any discharge from the incision site
- Persistent nausea and/or vomiting
- Pain that you cannot control with the medications you were given
- Cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain
- Severe abdominal pain or vomiting blood
- Dark-colored, tarry stools or blood in the stool
American Gastroenterological Association http://www.gastro.org
Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org
Canadian Association of Gastroenterology http://www.cag-acg.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Dimitrios M, et al. Laparoscopic Pyloroplasty in Idiopathic Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis in an Adult. JSLS. 2000 Apr-Jun; 4(2): 173–175.
6/3/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Mills E, Eyawo O, Lockhart I, Kelly S, Wu P, Ebbert JO. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 11/2014 -
- Update Date: 01/22/2014 -