Questions about breast feeding? Take our Breastfeeding Class! Call (352) 606-7304
We encourage breastfeeding for all new mothers. Our lactation consultants and board certified nurses are available to guide you through this process.
We follow The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding provided by the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative, a worldwide breastfeeding quality improvement project created by the World Health Organization and the United Nations Children’s’ Fund.
- We have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all health care staff.
- We train all health care staff in the skills necessary to implement this policy.
- We inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
- We help mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth.
- We show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation, even if they are separated from their infants.
- We give infants no food or drink other than breast-milk, unless medically indicated.
- We practice rooming in - allow mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day.
- We encourage breastfeeding on demand.
- We give no pacifiers or artificial nipples to breastfeeding infants.
- We foster the establishment of breastfeeding support groups and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or birth center.
Questions about breast feeding? Take our Breastfeeding Class!
Breastfeeding group meets on Wednesdays at 1:00 pm. Meet our lactation specialist Amy Fritsch and if you have any questions please call at (352) 606-7304.