Make sure it's as fresh as possible
(HealthDay News) -- Fresher produce usually means safer produce, so it's important to buy fruits and veggies as fresh as possible.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions:
- If shopping at the farmer's market, go early to make sure produce hasn't been sitting out all day.
- Buy produce in season, when possible.
- If you can't find satisfactory produce, ask the store manager if more produce is available.
- Buy loose produce over packaged, so you have more control over what you buy.
- Don't buy produce that has cuts, bruises or mold.
- Don't buy more produce than your family will eat in a week.