This stew is a great way to use summer vegetables in a new way.
Serving Size 1¼ cups
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat less than 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 196 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Water 3 cups
Vegetable bouillon, low sodium 1 cube
White potatoes, cut in 2-inch strips 2 cups
Carrots, sliced 2 cups
Summer squash, cut in 1-inch squares 4 cups
Summer squash, cut in 4 chunks 1 cup
Sweet corn, rinsed and drained (or 2 ears fresh corn; 1½ cups) 1 15-ounce can
Thyme 1 teaspoon
Garlic, minced 2 cloves
Scallion, chopped 1 stalk
Small hot pepper, chopped ½
Onion, coarsely chopped 1 cup
Tomatoes, diced 1 cup
Tip: Add other favorite vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
- Heat water and bouillon in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and carrots to the broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the tomatoes and continue cooking for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove 4 chunks of squash and purée in blender.
- Return puréed mixture to pot and let cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and let sit for 10 minutes to allow stew to thicken.