Serving Size 1 square
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 22 mg
Sodium 94 mg
Ingredients and Preparation
Cornmeal 1 cup
Flour 1 cup
White sugar ¼ cup
Baking powder 1 teaspoon
Buttermilk, 1% fat 1 cup
Margarine, regular, tub ¼ cup
Vegetable oil (to grease baking pan) 1 teaspoon
Tip: Use 1% milk and a small amount of margarine to make this cornbread lower in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add margarine and mix by hand or with a mixer for 1 minute.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in an 8-by-8 inch greased baking dish. Cool. Cut into 10 squares.