Oak Hill Joins Practice Greenhealth
September 17, 2009
Spring Hill, FL - Oak Hill Hospital has announced that, under HCA The Healthcare Company, it has joined Practice Greenhealth, the nation’s leading group for organizations in the healthcare community that have made a commitment to sustainable, eco-friendly practices.
Historically, the healthcare sector has been one of the largest consumers of energy and water and generates tons of solid and medical waste. Practice Greenhealth member s are turning the tide on this history. This is leading to growing evidence that greener facilities improve patient outcomes, decrease lengths of stay, and improve the health and performance of healthcare workers.
Below are some of the things that Oak Hill Hospital is already doing to lessen its impact on the environment of Hernando County:
- Oak Hill has recycling going on in many departments where paper, cans, and plastic are collected and brought out to a recycling container.
- Food and nutritional services is moving away from Styrofoam products to more eco-friendly products.
- Nursing Departments have done away with the large Bio-Medical containers and are now using a point-of-use method where biomedical trash is placed directly into a red bag and placed into a soiled utility room.
- The Operating Rooms are collecting a great deal of supplies used in surgery. Some of these products are remanufactured to OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) standards and used again or broken down to individual components (metal, plastic) and sold to make park benches.
- Oak Hill is moving from some disposable items to reusable items. Eventually, reusable gowns and basins will be utilized in the Operating Room, thereby reducing what is thrown away.”
About Oak Hill Hospital:
Oak Hill Hospital has been serving the Nature Coast since 1984. It is the largest medical facility in Hernando and Citrus County (204 acute care beds) and offers Hernando County’s only comprehensive heart program including open heart surgery.
Approximately 300 physicians, 1,000 associates, and 360 volunteers comprise Oak Hill Hospital’s health care delivery team.
Oak Hill has achieved distinction as the:
- First Chest Pain Center in Hernando and Citrus County accredited by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
- First primary stroke center to be fully accredited by the Joint Commission in Citrus and Hernando County.
- First comprehensive Women’s Imaging Center in Hernando County and the first imaging center offering digital mammography with computer aided detection.
- First hospital in the area to be recognized as an accredited cancer institute by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
It is located at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, Spring Hill, 1.9 miles east of US 19 on State Road 50. For more information about this release, please call (352) 597-6383 (Hernando) or (352) 628-6441 (Citrus).
Marketing & Public Relations Contact: